2016 Dark Charge
Barrel Aged Imperial Stout
For the earliest folks living around Covington, Kentucky, the Ohio River was a crucial artery. Goods and services were made available via flatboat, connecting families and communities to the larger world. That’s how this region got its coal, for example — the rich, dark diamonds that lit the lights, warmed the homes, and fired the power that built this city. We brew that spirit into this strong, dark Imperial Stout, aging it in barrels that give a lasting depth to the finish. From right here in the garage, on West 7th Street, we brew a stout bold enough to light a city.
Dark Charge is a massive Imperial Stout that showcases Kentucky’s heritage – Bourbon. Dark as the Covington night, this beer features notes of stone fruits, chocolate, coffee, oak, roasted malts, and umami. With an oil-like consistency, and tan head, it is bold enough to inspire you and strong enough to light up a city.
2016 Dark Charge was available in six different variants:
- Dark Charge Bourbon Barrel-Aged
- Dark Charge 23 Bourbon Maple
- This limited, special edition variant was aged in 23 year old Bourbon barrels that also aged maple syrup for an additional year.
- Dark Charge Bourbon Barrel-Aged with Madagascar Vanilla Beans
- Dark Charge Bourbon Barrel-Aged with Starter Coffee
- Dark Charge Bourbon Barrel-Aged with Toasted Coconut
- Dark Charge Bourbon Barrel-Aged with Ancho Chile, Cinnamon, Cocoa Nibs and Vanilla
These will be released at our annual Winter Block Party. You can view more details here.