Throughout the week we will be introducing you to the individuals helping brew Braxton’s beer. Each day, we will introduce one team member and prompt them with the same discussion topics. We hope you enjoy the behind-the-scenes look at our team! Today, we introduce “The Godfather” — Dave Dixon. Enjoy…
I chose Braxton for the opportunity to be part of an all-star Brew Team where I can take my past experiences as a homebrewer and be part of something that has been my passion since 1995. Braxton embraces exactly what my passion for brewing and craft beer is all about.
When did you fall in love with craft beer?
In 1995, while on an airplane, I received a sample of homebrew from a passenger (back when you could bring beverages on a plane). I was hooked for life!
What’s your previous experience?
As an avid homebrewer since 1995 I have won over 600 awards with my homebrew recipes.
Major Awards –
- 2 Gold Medals at the American Homebrewers Association National Homebrew Competition
- 2011 Kentucky State Fair Homebrewer of the Year
- 2013 MidSouth Brewing Series Homebrewer of the Year
- 2013 and 2014 CMI Oktobersbest Homebrewer of the Year
- Best of Show 2000 Cactus Challenge
- Best of Show 2011 and 2013 Bluegrass Cup
- Best of Show 2013 Music City Brew-off
- 19 of my homebrewed beers have advance to the final round of the National Homebrew Competition
I have been involved in the local, regional and national homebrewing movement since my first batch by serving as director of competitions, beer judge, helping other homebrewers and volunteering at homebrew/craft beer events. In 1997, I along with a few likeminded people, founded the NET Hoppers Homebrew Club where he served as president for 8 years. I am currently an active member of the Northern Kentucky Homebrewers Guild.
Position Held –
- Director of the Bluebonnet Brew-off the world’s largest single-site homebrew competition
- Bluebonnet Brew-off Planning Committee from 1999 to 2005
- Chairman of the 2002 American Homebrewers Association National Homebrew Conference in Dallas, Texas
- American Homebrewers Association Governing Committee from 2003 through 2005
- President NET Hopper Homebrew Club and Cap and Hare Homebrew Club – 8 years
What’s your favorite style of craft beer?
Belgian Strong Ales
What is your favorite craft beer?
Chimay Premiere (Red)
Do you have a favorite quote?
“Beer is proof that God loves us” – Benjamin Franklin
What are some of your hobbies other than brewing?
Surf Fishing, Video and Photography, Playing Guitar
What part of Braxton are you most looking forward to?
As part of the Brew Team I am looking forward to brewing the recipes we have developed over the past year.
Do you have a fun fact or story you could share with everyone?
I met my wife, Josanna Dixon, of 12 years through homebrewing while planning the Bluebonnet Brew-off competition. Interesting fact she is also an award winning homebrewer. I proposed to Josanna in front of 300 homebrewers at the Dixie Cup Homebrew Competition in Houston, Texas and I was lucky enough that she said “YES.” After our wedding at a church in Las Vegas we had a pub crawl for our wedding reception. Homebrewing and craft beer have had a major impact on my life.
Did you meet our other brewers from earlier in the week?
- Get to Know: Conan Crofoot, Brewer/Cellarman
- Get to Know: Mike Roszkowski, The Hop Whisperer (Recipe Development & QC)
Coming on Thursday and Friday:
- Get to Know: Evan Rouse, Head Brewer & Co-Founder
- Get to Know: Richard Dube, Brewmaster & Co-Founder